Jackie Chan is no doubt the King of Action Comedy and this YouTube video shows us how he does it. Watch Jackie Chan on how to do Action Comedy, plus several fight clips from his Kung-Fu movies.
According to Every Frame a Painting, some filmmakers can do action. Others can do comedy. But for 40 years, the master of combining them has been Jackie Chan. Watch and see how he does it.
Below are the 9 Principles of Action Comedy:
1. Start with a DISADVANTAGE
2. Use the ENVIRONMENT
3. Be CLEAR in your shots
4. Action & Reaction in the SAME frame
5. Do as many TAKES as necessary
6. Let the audience feel the RHYTHM
7. In editing, TWO good hits = ONE great hit
8. PAIN is humanizing
9. Earn your FINISH